Monday, April 6, 2015

HOLLAND AMERICA WESTERN CARIBBEN CRUISE PART IV

COSTA MAYA MEXICO

Friday March 27 we docked at Costa Maya Mexico.  82 degrees and sunny.  This would be our last port of call until we arrived back at Tampa.

I had not scheduled any land tours, but spent the day with Nancy shopping.  And shopping.  And shopping.  This particular area was very beautiful, performers performing, and haggling prices.  Did some of my Christmas shopping. 

And, of course taking pictures.  I think I have put about 6 of the best  pictures in the business.  Took around 800.  After editing I have folders on my computer (if it has not erased them over-night) with all the pictures in them.











We traveled a total of 1891 Nautical Miles on this journey.  Tampa to Key West 325 miles.  Key West to Roatan 621 miles.  Roatan to Santo Tomas 156 miles.  Santo Tomas to Costa Maya 222 miles.  And Maya to Tampa 640 miles.

Hard to believe the trip is winding down.  Fun times go by all too quickly.  But I have a lot to look forward to yet.  A trip to Arizona to visit the kids.  Another cruise, this time Western Caribbean.  A bus trip to Maryland.  And several road trips in the thinking stage.  Too bad I don't have anything to do. 

To me traveling is one of life's greatest joys.  There is a whole world out there.   One of the fun parts is when someone else mentions something about where I have been, or I see it in the newspaper, hear it on the news, or run across it in a book I am reading, I really really know what they are talking about.

Enough of this.   Costa Maya Mexico is a small tourist region in the state o Quintana Roo Mexico.  It's history dates back to around 6500 BC - that's a long long time ago.  In the 16th Century (the 1500's) English pirates took over a large part of the coast attacking the Spanish ships loaded with gld and riches.

At the end of the 19th century the Mexican Navy finally too complete control over the state of Quintana Roo.  The pirates were finally banished.

WE returned to the ship mid-afternoon, attended High Tea, of course, and watch as the sip undocked at 5 p.m.  Saturday would be a full day of sailing, arriving in Tampa at 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning.  Then thru customs, to the airport and home.

Another memory.

Have a great day and God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment