Monday, April 21, 2014

DID YOU EVER CONSIDER

BECOMING A HIPPIE?! ... APRIL 21 2014 ...


Well, that's what we did on Day 1 of my Phoenix week with the Arizona bunch.  They had discovered a place called Solari - in the desert sort-of.  Admission was free.  In the 1970's this had been a hippie community there, concrete buildings, open areas with tarps, all the good modern stuff.








It is referred to as the Place of the Bells - what we would call wind chimes - made from copper, pottery and ceramic.  They did this and sold them to the public.  The Hippies are long gone, but this particular commune is maintained, they still make the bells during the week and they are for sale. 

Cheapest one we saw was $125.00 for a very small chime.  The priciest was $23,000.00 ( that's right - twenty three thousand) 

It was big.  It was beautiful.  It was something that I could hang outside, maybe it would not blow away.  Of course I don't have that kind of money, but I started thinking about it.  Which is a mistake.

I could visualize it hanging on my deck, outside the computer room window where I could see - and hear - it.  The wind would blow, I would hear this beautiful (and they did make beautiful) music.   The wind would blow.  The chimes would chime.

And then I saw it in my mind.  We had one of our gales, wind really blowing.  I could plainly see this wind chime breaking free, crashing through the window, smashing everything in its path creating havoc throughout.  I could hear - and see - Bossman's reaction. 

First of all he had a reaction last year when I got my Rhythmn Clock in Palm Springs.  It was mild.  I don't think this reaction would be mild.  First he would turn red in the face, hair starting to stand straight up.  Suddenly he would say - not shout, just say in his   I don't believe you did this voice, what have you done this time.

Like it was all my fault.  First of all this bell was heavy.  Lots of Copper for the price.  It had been shipped because I didn't think I could get it home as a carry-on on the plane.  Then he would have had to lug it inside from where it was dropped off outside.  Unpack.  Unwrap.  All the time grumbling that I didn't have a lick of sense. 

Then he would ask just what I thought "I" was supposed to do with it.  Would tell him that was his department.  Which would not go over at all well.  Finally the only place that would support it was hanging from the deck roof.

I could imagine all this clearly, almost as if a movie were playing in my head.  All was good until the gale winds came through, which  was every few days.

The chimes are in the house.  The window destroyed.  It would miss the computer as it was off to the side, but would land on top of the indoor dog kennels, flattening them like pancake then would probably end up in the kitchen breaking tile floor as it went.  Hopefully the dogs would not be in their kennels.







For some strange reason I decided I really did not need this particular wind chime. And this was just part one of day one.  More to follow, but it will probably be a while as I am so far behind on my yard work and other stuff, that I will be pretty well tied up for a bit. 

Hope you had a great Easter, don't buy any umpteen dollar bells to hang up to destroy your house, and God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment