Saturday, April 9, 2011

HAWAII - PART 4 - OAHU.................................

It is Monday, I was up early, on deck, watching us sail into Honolulu's port.  Honolulu is the state capitol, located on the island of Oahu.  Today I was scheduled for the Natural Highlights tour.  Vicki, Brenda and Kay were doing a different tour.  We would compare notes, and pictures, tonight, after our Monday Luau.

 Got to spend some time in Honolulu, browsing, quite a neat city. 

When our tour began we drove to Diamond Head Crater first, learning about this world-famous landmark.

Entering Honolulu Harbor


Hanauma Bay
 Fro diamond Head Crater we arrived at Hanauma Bay, such spectacular scenery.  Everywhere we went, it was the best, until the next place, which was the best, and so on. 

From Hanauma Bay we arrived at Alona Point, just look at the water swirling down into a lava tube as it approached the shore-line.  I could have looked all day, but we had a schedule to keep.


Alona Point


Hanauma Bay
  How beautiful the sand was the day we were there.  Our only disappointment was that the famous black sand beach was no longer in existence.  It had been washed away by a Tsunami years ago. 

Makapu'u Lookout
  Fro Makapu'u lookout we had the incredible panoramic views.  By now my finger was really getting tired, pushing the button on my poor camera.  Getting lots of exercise today!!!

Below are views of Diamond Head as seen from above.  
Diamond Head

 We returned to Honolulu and re-boarded the ship to dress for the luau.  We all tried to have something Hawaiian to wear.  I picked up a blouse that I wore as a jacket over my tank top. 

Upon arriving at Paradise Cover we were all presented with live orchid leis - they were beautiful.  We also received Mai Tai's- which had become my favorite of all time.  I very rarely drink, but was told I JUST HAD TO sample the Mai Tai's.  I did, they were wonderful.

Paradise Cove
  While there we were entertained by Polynesian arts and crafts, Hawaiian games, a Hukilauand Ancient IME ceremony.  We were treated to the Shower of Flowers, wherein a native Hawaiian climbed a palm tree, barefoot, and upon reaching the top let flower petals stream down.  It was good luck if you caught some petals.

Paradise Cove
 The evening ended with a fabulous buffet dinner, mostly of native foods.  The only thing I did not sample was the poi.  Once was enough.






The light was constantly changing


Paradise Cove

Paradise Cove
 Every time you looked it was different, so much beauty, so little time.

It was late when we returned to the ship, tomorrow would be a busy day as we would go to Kauai.

I wonder what wonderful sights we would see there, it is hard to believe that every island is so very different, but at the same time so much alike.

Diamond Head


Diamond Head
 You could spend years exploring all the wonders that make up Hawaii.

I can't believe how much I have learned on this trip, things that are not taught in school.  You learn there is a State name Hawaii, it is an Island chain, out in the ocean, but you don't learn all the little tid-bits that we got on our journey.

I guess it just goes to show that you are never too old to learn something new.  I guess it is when you quit learning something new that you enter the "old' category.  So guess I am not so old after all.  Keep on learning and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment