Friday, February 18, 2011

                      LOOKING AHEAD

          The planet is spinning way too fast, and the months are just flying by.  Only 10 days left in February, then it is March, April, and busy time getting started.  I have applied for 11 art shows for this year, have 4 that I usually do that I have not received applications for yet.  4 of the 11 are new festivals I have not done and am waiting for the jurying results.  The other 7 I have done in the past and am automatically juried in, with one exception.  The exception I have done for almost 30 years, but they require jurying every year to keep the quality as good as possible.  Never a done deal.

       Of the 4 I am waiting for the applications I have done all in the past, but only one requires annual jurying.  Again the waiting game.  About 75% of the applications are received in late December, January and February.  That is where the looking ahead comes in.

          I have to look ahead to make sure I have the money available to pay the jurying fee, if there is one, and the entry fee, which is a sure thing.  The jury fees are anywhere from $10.00 to $30.00, non-refundable.  The entry fees are anywhere from $40.00 to almost $500.00.  It is not cheap to be in business!!!

          I have to look ahead to make sure I have new pictures for each year.  There are always the old stand-bys that sell and sell, although after I have sold a certain number of one picture I retire it.   Sometimes the first question I get from a prospective customer is "What do you have new this year?"  This is especially true as I have many repeat customers.  Therefore I have to keep taking pictures to have pictures.

          I have to look ahead to make sure my supply of mats, frames, glass, hangers, clear-bags for packaging, labels for labeling, etc., is adequate.

          I have to look ahead and make sure my van is in as good working condition as possible so I can load my display - which completely fills the van, even the passenger seat  Good thing I travel alone.

          I am always looking for new things to photograph.  I am sharing one of the new pictures I have taken this month for the business.  This is in the LANDSCAPE - STILL LIFE category.  My work is matted and/or framed 11 x 14's and 16 x 20's.  So you can imagine how much space is used for transporting all my "stuff".  There is that "stuff" word again.

          I have plane tickets to fly to Phoenix Arizona in April to visit daughter Linda and her family for a week.  Hopefully when I return I will have some new southwest pictures for the business.  I know I will have lots of pictures, but for the business? That can vary from several to none.  I have to do a very thorough editing process to decide what will be business and what will not be business.  There again I am "Looking Ahead".

          I get started for real in April and continue through mid-November.  In April in addition to going to Phoenix I have an art guild photography competition In Ohio that I have been asked to judge.  That will be 2 days for me, one day judging, one day for the awards ceremony.  As I have  good friends living in the area it gives me an excuse to spend some time with them, like overnight.  Then there is the one day by invitation-only art show held annually in April at the South Hills Country Club.  Very high end, what a great way to kick off the season.

          Don't expect blogs every day.  I will try to keep up as much as possible, but as I get busier I will have less time in front of the computer.  But I will keep you posted on my comings and goings as well as I can.  There again I am looking ahead.

          Just remember - It is the looking ahead that gets you out of bed in the morning, gets you through the day.  It is that "wonder what is going to happen tomorrow" mind-frame that keeps you young.

          Everyone have a great week-end and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment