Wednesday, February 2, 2011

                   THE REASON FOR THE NAME


You may wonder why my blog's official name is marthad-picturelady. It is really a very simple explanation.

Through my 30 plus years of selling my artwork, I have met, literally, thousands of great folks. Needless to say, somewhere along the line, in a store, on a sidewalk, even on vacation, someone will approach me and ask "Aren't you the picture lady?"

Many are like me, remember faces, forget names. So I am known as the "picture lady".

It's kind of neat to have such a nick-name.

One of these days I'll figure out the attaching of pictures, and other stuff, but in the meantime I just enjoy writing a little bit about life in general.

February 2. Groundhog Day - the 125th one. Must be one really old groundhog, poor thing. Everyone hates his predictions, regardless of which way it goes. He is so mis-understood.

Anyway, 6 more weeks of winter. Last night it rained and rained and rained. Most of the snow melted. When I got up this morning it was 48 degrees and bright sunshine.. Now, at approximately 1 p.m. the temp has dropped to 30 degrees, and it is pouring down snow.

At least we didn't get the sleet and freezing rain predicted. That went north of us.

This is my "down time", the last festival I participate in is early November, and the first one of the year is in mid-April. Hence the down time. This is when I decide what I am going to print for the new year's shows, what festivals I am going to apply for, what pictures will I use for my CD for being juried into the art shows. writing checks and checks - jury fee checks, entry fee checks and sometimes even a check for the little bit of electricity I will use in my display. I believe that January-February are the two most expensive months I have. Don't they realize that Christmas has just passed, and usually all the money is spent on the holidays?

But I understand their viewpoint. There are so many festivals now compared to the relatively few when I started participating in 1979, and the quality festivals that I participate in realize that there are fewer high-quality artists than crafters and so-so artists, that they send their applications out early - even tho some of the festivals aren't until November - to get the quality artists before they apply to another festival in another area.

Of the 18 festivals I am considering for this year, I have received, and replied, to all but 3, which have not been received as of today. Of the 18, half of them I have to be juried - they are either new festivals I have not done before, or festivals that require jurying every year regardless of the number of years I have participated. The remainder are usually festivals that you are juried the first time you apply, then if accepted, you are automatically juried each year during the festivals by a panel of judges. Normally when that happens, you can be assured of being accepted year after year. Some festivals I do I have been doing for over 25 years.

The lowest entry fee I pay is $40.00 for a one day show, then from $100.00 - $500.00 for the weekend shows. As you can see, the entry fee and jury fees add up. Most jury fees are anywhere from $10.00 - $30.00, and these are non-refundable.

I hope I am not boring you, and I am going to give you my various addresses in case you would like to contact me for anything.

e-mail: marthadou@hughes.net
web site: http://www.marthadheritage.com/

Have a good day. Hopefully your weather will be half way decent. Take care and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment