Wednesday, March 30, 2011

THE LIGHTHOUSE LAMP................................

          I have a lighthouse lamp.  The real deal.  My lamp is about 6 foot tall, hand-crafted by my Grandfather in the late 1930's.  It is the only one in existence.  It is made entirely of wood, put together piece by piece.  This lamp has lived in Martins Ferry, Ohio - Cleveland, Ohio - Pierpont, Ohio- and finally in West Alexander, Pa.  And it still shines brightly, lighting your way.  Let me tell you it's story.

          My Grandfather lived with my parents while I was a child.  He was a carpenter by trade.  He had his shop set up in our basement.  I loved to go down when he was working on his lathe, jig saw, all that neat stuff, and watch him turn out beautiful pieces of furniture.

          He did end tables, coffee tables, small what-not tables, a desk, many small items such as an inlaid sewing cabinet, miscellaneous wooden containers for stuff.  He never sold any of his crafted items, just gave them away to family and friends.  But he only made ONE lighthouse.

          The lighthouse consists of 4 legs, turned on his lathe.  The base of the lighthouse is a large square piece of wood, about two inches thick, and hand-chiseled (that is, using a chisel and hammer) so that the finished product looks like a rocky piece of land.  Upon this stands the lighthouse itself, complete with its light. 

          For close to 100 years now this light has welcomed  folks into its home.  I am the second owner, this is the lamps 5th home.

          My Grandfather made this lamp for my Aunt Pat, my Mother's sister.  She was still living in Martins Ferry when this lamp was created.  She liked the unique and unusual, and this lighthouse was very special for her.

          When my Aunt moved to Cleveland, the lamp went with her.  It sat in her apartment all the years she lived there, and every summer I would travel, by myself (I was just a kid) on the train from Bridgeport Ohio to Cleveland.  Mother would put me on the train and the conductor would watch over me until we reached Cleveland, where Aunt Pat wold be waiting for me.  Those summer trips were the highlight of my summer. 

          I can remember when Aunt Pat, Uncle Cas and I would go out doing things that were fun, that upon returning home, usually at night,  you could see the light shining out the window.  I always knew which apartment was ours.

          By the time I was a teenager Aunt Pat and Uncle Cas had retired and moved to the small rural community of Pierpont, Ohio.  I still spent several weeks each summer with them, making life-long friends, whom I still visit with.  Again the lighthouse stood in the window, showing the way home.

          Aunt Pat was the older sister, and Grandfather wanted the lamp to go to the oldest girl.  As Aunt Pat had no children, and I was the oldest  in my family, the lamp was to come to me.  Upon Aunt Pat and Uncle Cas' deaths I inherited the lamp.   I moved the lamp from Pierpont to West Alexander where it stood in my home's window, lighting the way home. 

          Upon my marriage to Tom, the lamp moved into our home, where it has stood for over 35 years now, lighting your way home.  Upon my death it will go to my daughter Rebecca, and from there to her daughter Shelby.  From there, I know not where it will go, but am hopeful that everyone who has this lamp will let it shine, showing the way home.

          I hope you all out there have a light shining, showing the way home.  God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment