Thursday, March 24, 2011

SAN DIEGO - Part 2 - THE WATERFRONT...

          Two blocks from our hotel was the waterfront.  Old Sailing ships, the Midway aircraft carrier, the Ronald Reagan, sculptures, statues, Bob Hope entertaining the troops, great restaurants, a carousel to ride on, and, of course, the terminal for the cruise ships.  It was also one of the Olde Town Trolley stops, which we rode for 4 days, getting off at all the interesting places, re-boarding to the next stop, we got to see it all.  And still didn't see everything!

          I really can't say what we liked the best.  Everything was our favorite until the next thing, and on and on.

There were several blocks of sculptures, created by different school groups, complete with plaque telling what group had created each sculpture.  I am going to share just a few, don't have enough room for them all.  Look and enjoy:

There were so many of these, each one more colorful than the last.  Another neat thing, they were constructed so that when the wind blew, they would spin around, slowly or fast, depending on the amount of the wind.  You can see we had picture-perfect weather, not the snow and stuff back home.  Loved calling home and rubbing it in as to how beautiful it was in San Diego.  That wasn't nice, was it?  We thought we had seen them all, but the next day we would discover one or two that we hadn't seen before.  Every day was a surprise.  I think there were times when my camera over-heated, I was taking so many pictures.  I DO know that before I left San Diego for the cruise, that I went to a camera store and had the pictures on my memory cards copied on to CD's so I would have memory for the rest of the journey.  I also invested in additional memory cards.

We saw the Midway Aircraft Carrier, but didn't have the time to do the tour and lunch.  We had too many things to see and do and not enough time.  We saw the statue, it will show up later, of the famous WW II photograph that was taken in New York City at the announcement of the end of the war.  A sailor walking on the street grabbed the nearest girl, who happened to be a nurse, and gave her a mighty kiss.  This photograph became famous all over the county.  What an awesome thing to see this.  I know you young folks don't know what I am talking about, but us old folks do.
          There was one area that had a life-size sculpture of Bob Hope standing in front of a microphone entertaining the troops, also life size sculptures, and a recording was playing the tape of his show - just listening brought back so many memories.  I am sharing another mural with you, there were so many.

          We found a carousel that you could ride on, but I just took a few pictures.  We had some of the best seafood ever.  Here is a picture of the SD skyline, what a beautiful city. 

          But, among all the wonders and beauty, there had to be some sadness.  Down at the waterfront, under some trees, we passed the belongings of a homeless person.  We did not see the person, but his belongs were there, along with the American Flag. 

 
          I believe I have covered the waterfront, we still have Balboa Park, Old Town and possibly some miscellaneous.  It will take me the remainder of the week to share these with you.  Maybe some day you will see some of these places, and if you do, I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.  Until later and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment