Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TWO OF THE THINGS WORTH WAITING FOR........

          Here is some background information to help understand this blog.  Almost 30 years ago I met Russ Shaffer at a very small art and craft show in Wheeling WV.  We just happened to be put next to each other.  We became friends, and as time passed by our families also became friends.  Also as time passed by we found he and I were applying for more and more of the same art shows.

          When applying we started requesting being beside each other.  It was amazing how many of the promoters were courteous and complied with our requests.  Russ' Mother-in-Law always tried to be with him, my husband would be with me, and we just had fun.  After my husband passed away, it was just me, and it became much more important that Russ and I be beside each other, as his M-i-L Kay could cover for me when I needed a break.

          So much for background.

          Yesterday afternoon I received an e-mail from the promoter (who has become a friend) of the Country Club art show in April indicating she was working on the floor plan for exhibitors and that, along this wall, there would be me, Russ, Vicki (another exhibitor friend of ours) then Missy and Christina (other friends).  Missy and Christina had requested to be beside us instead of across the room.    My promoter friend also stated that "It sounds like a party to me!"

          Yesterday evening I received an e-mail from the promoter of the Boston Mills Art Festival held in Peninsula Ohio at the Boston Mills Ski Resort each year the last weekend of June and first weekend of July.  This is one of the largest, and most prestigious, art shows in the state of Ohio.  It is a 2 weekend festival, however exhibitors can only be there for one weekend, therefore they have different vendors each weekend.  Russ and I had both applied, along with our space requests, if accepted.

          The jury results were in.  I was accepted!  I have applied different times throughout the last few years, usually rejected.  Immediately I called Russ to see if he had gotten his reply.  He was accepted also.  Not only were we both accepted they sent us our booth assignments and lo and behold we were next to each other.  We will be there the weekend of June 24-25-26.

          I find it quite amazing that those in charge of a festival of this magnitude would take the time to give consideration to our request and make sure we were side by side.  We were also sent a list of all vendors participating that weekend, and found a few names on the list that were also friends of ours. 

          I guess the digital pictures of our work were what they were looking for.  I have a lot of work ahead of me to make sure I have enough inventory for this show.  It is always exciting getting accepted into a new festival, and a little scary.  Will we live up to their expectations?  Will we sell enough to cover our expenses (festival application fee, lodging, food, gasoline, etc), or will we come home disappointed?

          The best part is, that all spring, summer and early fall festivals are outside, and the majority of them require that you set up your own tent.  Boston Mills has very large tents set up, you just move in and arrange your display. 

          Yesterday was the day that reminded me that some things were worth waiting for.  Have a wonderful day and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment