Thursday, June 9, 2011

I THOUGHT I WAS OUT OF THE RABBIT HOLE.................JUNE 09 2011.............

I worked in my garden (vegetable one) yesterday morning, then came in for lunch, before spending the afternoon mowing.

Went to get ice for my iced tea.  Frost free freezer full of frost.  Refrigerator temp 50 plus degrees. 

Call Customer Complaints.  Was informed that because we had filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, they would no longer service any appliances at our address and telephone number.  Can you believe that?  It is nuts!!!!!  When asking to speak with someone else, was informed that I could talk to their legal department.  I told them to connect me.  Put on hold.  Then told someone would return my call shortly.

Next thing I did was e-mail the BBB, asking them if this was the way it was done?

About half an hour after my phone call to customer complaints, the phone rang, and it was a Sears representative.  She informed me she had gone over all her records, and that they would give me a $500.00 credit toward a new refrigerator, my choice, and wanted to be sure I realized we would be responsible for any charge over the $500.00.  They would deliver new one and take away old one free of charge.

WOW!!!  DOUBLE WOW!!!  TRIPLE WOW!!! WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS WAY BACK WHEN?

I also told her about the non-service conversation and she literally flipped.  She had never heard of such a thing, they would definitely look into that.  I was not to worry, I would have the same considerate, timely, awesome, wonderful, did I say timely? service that I have had in the past.  I don't think I'll ever get out of this rabbit hole.

I asked her if she could call me back within half an hour, that I had to touch base with son Jerry (after all, he is the one paying the bills) to make sure it was o.k.  After some deliberation he said to go ahead and accept their offer.
So the waiting game was in progress again.

Within the half hour I got my return phone call, she wanted to know when I wanted to go pick out new fridge.  Told her as soon as I hung up the phone.

We really didn't want to buy another appliance from Sears, but $500.00 is $500.00.  They only had two in the store that fit our needs.  We didn't want the icemaker in the door, as you lose all that shelf space in the refrigerator.  Just a water dispenser. 

The only one they had meeting my requirements was another Kenmore, just like the one we had - but they were all on back order (probably having to rebuild the entire line) and it would be 4-6 weeks before delivery.  I think by that time I was talking "just" a little louder than normal, I did notice passers by slowing down, listening to the conversation.

And it was an interesting conversation, with the Sears appliance salesman, the store manager, and a couple more employees, doing busy work in the area.

I found a Whirlpool, meeting all my requirements, except for the water dispenser in the door, but it was just inside the refrigerator, which would work.

Delivery could be made as early as Sunday.  Whoopee do!  Seeing as how yesterday was Wednesday, only had to wait 4 more days. How lucky can I get!

They started the necessary paper (computer) work because this was a replacement fridge, not an outright purchase, even though money was involved, and I was then informed that even tho delivery of new fridge and removal of old fridge would be free, I would have to pay a $10.00 delivery charge as it was being delivered on the weekend.  More conversation, just a little louder, ended up getting a $510.00 discount on the fridge.  I think by that time they would do almost anything to get rid of me.

Needless to say I didn't get any mowing done yesterday afternoon, but did get the front yard mowed last evening.  Since I will be away Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (you heard right, Jerry gets to play catch me if you can with the Sears people over the weekend) and hopefully when I return Sunday night there will be a new working refrigerator in my kitchen.

And people say life is boring.

On a different note, Jim and Dianne's house still standing, completely surrounded by flames, firefighters standing by, keeping the house hosed down.  The beautiful mountain view they had is completely gone, just charred ruins.  They are getting the smoke as far away as Phoenix.  I am having a very hard time comprehending the enormity of this tragedy, and I really don't know how I could handle such a situation. 

The Good Lord willing, I will never have to face some such thing.  But you do what you have to do, you either fall apart, or pick up the pieces.  Either way, life will never be the same again.

My prayers go out to J and D, and all the other thousands of people facing all the you name it, it is happening things world-wide.  Be grateful for what you have and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment