Sunday, June 5, 2011

JUST A LITTLE BIT OF STUFF
SUNDAY JUNE 05 2011

Today will be a little bit of this and that.  Firstly, sister Ruth and I attended the artist's reception for Georgia on Friday evening.  A beautiful display of some of her artwork, a very nice turnout of those interested in art, an evening out, and nibbling.  Had some good nibbling.

This is Georgia in her home working on one of her original paintings.

Georgia and I met, it must be at least 12 years ago, at Oglebayfest in Wheeling, she was exhibiting her paintings and I was exhibiting my photography.  We became friends.

Through the years we have done, what we call, road trips - me to take photographs to use in the business, Georgia to use to make her paintings.  She has the advantage, she can change summer to winter, fall to spring, etc.
Me - I have to go with what I have, sometimes I can remove some little something, but normally I am very careful to not get anything in the picture I do not want in the finished product.

This is a small version of her galardia picture, she painted from a picture she took of this flower in my garden, and I now have a framed 11 x 14 hanging in my home.

This is one of my favorites, her grandfather's violin
painted as a still life.  She can paint just about anything, you name it she will paint it.



This is the cover of her art book entitled SPEAKING OF ART, which shows samples of her paintings, with a brief paragraph telling the why, or the where or the what that caught her eye to paint the picture.

We have done other traveling together, along with her husband, Dan.  One day I'll have to tell you about our Niagara Falls caper.  But not today.  I really don't need to make you all aware of what complete idiots we can be.

Yesterday just did odds and ends around here, saw that the workers were fed lunch, caught up with paper work, getting ready for the upcoming weekend, catching up on some reading, just stuff.

Ruth keeps me well supplied with reading material.  We have both read from the day we could recognize words (My Mom and Dad read and read and read), she buys book upon book, and when she is finished with them they are passed along to me, and when I finish I pass them on.  It is a well-traveled road, and since we have the same interests in our reading, there is very little that I don't read (maybe one a year). 

I really feel sorry for non-readers, they are missing out on so much, there is always something new to learn, no matter what type of reading you do.

I started reading about age 9, one of the first books my Mom ever gave me to read was one of Zane Gray's.  I went through the westerns only stage, then the animals only stage, then moved on and up, reading everything I could get my hands on. 
I lived in Martins Ferry, just across from Wheeling.  Three of Zane Gray's books were about Betty Zane, and the Zane family and her heroics during one of the Indian fights taking place at the fort where Wheeling is now.  She is buried in Martins Ferry.  At that time Wheeling was Fort Henry.  Wheeling is also the site of McCullough's Leap, a famous part of our local history.

Zane Gray's museum is in Zanesville, Ohio.  It is so very interesting reading such stories, about your home, and all that transpired before you were ever born.  I learned about Lewis Wetzel, the Indians who lived in this part of the Ohio Valley, and Ohio is actually an Indian name.  Meaning beautiful water.

Sorry I'm late with today's blog.  Time got away from me this morning, and before I knew it, it was time to leave for Church, then there was a luncheon afterward, then a trip to the funeral home.

Now I am home, Jerry at a graduation party, so I don't have to cook tonight, think I'll jut sit back and relax the remainder of the day.  As Scarlet O'Hara said in GONE WITH THE WIND "Tomorrow is another Day",  and so it will be.   Enjoy the sunshine, feel the breeze, take some time for yourself, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment