Monday, June 27, 2011

SMILES or NO SMILES ..... JUNE 27 2011.......

I believe I mentioned last week, that hopefully I would be going to the bank.  Well guess what - I'm not.

No, the world didn't come to an end.  No I didn't get lost (even though the GPS tried to lose me a few times), but I do have a happy face.  All my sales were either cash or charges (I do take Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover), so no special trip to town for the bank.  All charges were run through this morning and approved.  Hence the happy face.

In addition - a bonus - I found a mill and a mail pouch building to photograph.

This is the Smith Mill, and is located near Massillon Ohio.  It is a very well kept mill in a beautiful setting.

Now for history 103. Or is it 104?  Whatever.

This mill originally built in 1820 and functioned as a gristmill and flourmill into the mid 1800's.  The mill was directly in front of the Ohio & Erie Canal.  In the late 1900's it was converted into a brewery, known as Massillon Brewing Company.  In 1910 the brewery re-located into Massillon, and later that year the original mill burned.

In 1925 the original foundation stones were salvaged to build the present mill.  Lumber from an old mill was used to construct this new mill.  From 1925 through 1973 the mill functioned as a cider mill, pressing apples into cider.  This mill would, at times, produce up to 200 gallons of cider a day.

In 1973 the property was sold.  The mill is no longer functioning.  It has been, though, well maintained.  The interior is no longer accessible.  The foundation stones are a sandy color, making a nice contrast with the darker brown sandstone used for the upper part of the mill.

This next picture is of the mail pouch building (shed? garage?)  As it was located on private property, and could not be easily photographed from the road, I pulled into their driveway, hoping to get permission to take the picture.

A very nice woman came out and asked if she could help me.  I told her what I wanted to do, she laughed and said she got folks there all the time to take pictures.

She walked with me as I went to take the picture, talking all the way, it was so enjoyable to listen to her.  She and her husband had painted the building themselves.  She told me they had sent for the stencils for the lettering, and how much fun they had doing it, and how many people now stop by to take pictures.  She did mention that she would have to trim back one of the hostas, as it was covering up some of the lettering.

There is never such a thing as a dull or boring day.  I meet so many folks, hear so many interesting stories, and the icing on the cake is being able to get a picture that I can add to the business.

I hope your days are as interesting as mine, and that you can laugh a lot.   Enjoy what is available and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment