Saturday, June 18, 2011

SUNSHINE, STORMS, and OTHER STUFF......JUNE 18 2011

Had beautiful sunshine yesterday.  Got a lot of work done in my flower garden, pulling weeds, rearranging mulch, dead-heading flowers, just general clean up.  We still haven't had a chance to get our new mulch this year, will probably do that within the next week to 10 days.  Really running late this year.  We use the black mulch, really looks good with all the colorful flowers.


A whing-ding of a storm came through last night about 10:30 p.m.  We were completely surrounded by lightning, the sky never had a chance to really darken up, just light light everywhere.  Then the rain hit.  It didn't just hit, it pounded.  I don't know how much it rained, as our rain gauge starts over again at midnight, but there was a lot of water came down.  And the wind blew, of course.  Blew chairs over on both patio and deck, no damage though. 

Hopefully today will be nice as this is the day of Georgia's bar-b-q in Sardis.  Will be leaving here about 10 a.m., as it takes a little over an hour to get from our house to her house, they also live on a farm in the country, with a beautiful old (1800's) brick house, painted a beautiful shade of yellow.  Will have some pictures to share with you tomorrow.

Got my bean salad made yesterday, which will be my contribution to the dinner.  Love cook outs.  Also got phone call yesterday from another friend reminding me of their annual 4th of July picnic held on their farm about 1/2 mile from us, one of our "closer" neighbors.  They put up tents in their yard, have more food than you know what to do with, lots and lots of family and friends, and end the evening with a neat fireworks display.  Jerry, Debbie (our friend having the picnic) and Linda, Jerry's sister in Arizona all grew up together, and Debbie really tickled when I told her Linda would be home and at the picnic with us.  Made her day.

You all know I have mentioned the Barnstormers, the Mail Pouch Barn organization.   In addition to their annual picnic in Belmont Ohio in July they put out a quarterly newsletter, usually 8-10 pages.  In the issue I just received earlier in the week, they featured one of my IF ONLY I COULD TALK stories, told from a Mail Pouch Barn's viewpoint.

I found this barn several years ago near Lancaster Ohio (I believe Fairfield County), and the neatest thing about it was the slate roof.  Very unusual where the barns are concerned, especially the ones with the Mail Pouch signs.

It used to be you saw these barns everywhere.  Today there are fewer and fewer left to photograph.  Many of the barns have been torn down to make room for "progress", many farms have been abandoned and the barns are gradually falling apart, but some are being preserved as it is a part of our local history.  One of these days, when my mind is blank, I will share the history of the Mail Pouch barns with you, it is quite a story.  I think you will enjoy it.

After all, I am a story teller.


Well, had better finish up here and get cracking.  Hope you all have a wonderful day (I know I will - because I always do) and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment