Monday, July 11, 2011

I AM FRIENDS GOOD WILL ...THIS IS MY STORY...JULY 11 2011...PART TWO

We were captured by the British, our crew and few passengers became either prisoners of war or were forced to sail the ship for the British government.  My furs and skins were confiscated and sold by the British.   My owner was on board and became one of the prisoners.  He looked so sad as he and the crew were led away.

My name was changed to Little Belt.  Little Belt!  What kind of name was that for a sleek, beautiful sailing sloop?  But that was just the beginning.  Those sneaky British decided to change my appearance entirely.  I was no longer a merchant vessel.  They fitted me out with canons, men with muskets, and other nasty weapons, and made me into a fighting vessel.

I belonged to the Royal Navy the remainder of 1812 and into 1813.  By then the war of 1812 (I guess they called it that because it actually began in 1812) was in full swing along the Great Lakes.  Neither Canada nor the United States wanted to share the waters.  Each country wanted to OWN the Great Lakes. How can you own a huge body of water?


I fought in several battles, being hit with canon balls, blasted with musket balls, sails torn, masts broken, just really nasty stuff.  But I was tough.  I survived these battles.  After each battle repairs were made, holes plugged, new mast and sails put in place, and then we started all over again.  What a mess!

So far in my short life I have belonged to an American Merchant, the American Federal Government, and the British Government of Canada.  My flag just kept changing.

Then in September of 1812 The Battle of Lake Erie began.  Some famous American naval person named Commodore Oliver Perry decided that enough was enough, and he was going to end this stupidity once and for all.

This mighty battle began with sloops against sloops, war ships against war ships.  The British sailors and soldiers on me were bragging about how soundly they would defeat the poor, primitive American fleet.  The battle lasted ONE HOUR.  The guns fell silent --THE BRITISH HAD BEEN DEFEATED.

I have heard that at the end of the battle Commodore Perry sent a dispatch to shore that read:  "We have met the enemy and they are ours - two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop".  The sloop was ME!  Friends Good Will.  I was back with the Americans where I belonged.  And I am only 2 years old.  What an adventure...

TO BE CONTINUED:

I wanted enough room to touch base about my weekend in Cleveland Heights, so the final chapter will appear tomorrow.

There is so much good stuff to say about Cain Park Arts Festival, that I will probably need an entire day to go into detail.  In a nut-shell, it was one of the very best outdoor festivals I have ever done, I don't mean financially, even though it was above average, but the people who were in charge, the young folks at your beck and call, always polite, helpful, just there for you.  I came home from this festival tired, but rejuvenated because of the young folks and their wonderful attitudes.  If your weekend was busy, I hope you have recovered and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment