Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WHY DO I SKIP AROUND?....JULY 20 2011

You have probably asked that question more than once.  I never seem to have a theme.  I just go here and there.  Take yesterday for instance.

After writing my blog, doing a few things around the house, in early afternoon I headed to Washington to run a couple of errands..  While doing said errands I kept wondering what I would blog about tomorrow (which is now today) I think.  Perhaps.  I don't know.

Anyhoo, exiting from the Interstate at the West Alexander exit, directly in front of me parked in an empty lot were these really really huge trailers.

As you can see, they are really really big.  There were three of them and two vans, all painted the same colors and designs.

Two of the trailers each held 3 teams  (that would be 6 in each trailer) of the beautiful Clydesdale Horses.  The ones you see on the TV commercials.

They were awesome. 

Of all the TV commercials I have always loved the Budweiser horses the most.  There is something so majestic and elegant about them, as they prance along, pulling the wagon, the Dalmatian dog sitting on the seat with the driver.

I don't know if I like the Christmas commercials or the Super Bowl commercials the best.

I spoke with one of the crew who was with the horses and was told that they had reservations just down the road from where we were at the Old Brick Road Stables, but when their supervisor went down to check out the facility, the trailers were too long, and too heavy, to cross the culvert, make it up the lane, and there was no place to turn around.  He was, at that time, scoping out the area, trying to find a place for the horses to spend the night.

I also asked the young man where they were headed, and he replied that they were to participate in the Italian Festival being held in Wheeling WV this coming weekend, and needed accommodations for the horses until Friday, when they would appear in the evening sometime between 5 and 7 p.m.

I kept wondering all evening if they had found a place for the horses, and the men traveling with them.  They were giving them water while I was there, and each bucket looked like a small swimming pool. 

It is strange, you see commercials, see them performing in different locations, but never once do you wonder - how do they get there, what do they travel in, how many handlers have to travel with them, questions you never think of.

Then out of a clear blue sky you go around a bend, and there before you are all the answers to the questions you never thought to ask.  What a truly amazing sight it was.  I was not the only one stopping, folks getting off the Interstate were driving in, taking pictures, one young woman said to me that never in a million years would she have expected to see the Clydesdales in little old country town West Alexander.

I had to agree.  Big cities, yes.  A dot on the map country town, no.  But it made my day, gave me something to talk about, and to write about.

Why do I skip around.  Perhaps it is because there is always something unique, different, unexpected just waiting to be discovered.  Life is full of discoveries.  Life is full of wonders.  Life is full of awe. 

Always be prepared for what is around the next bend, it just might be three trailers full of horses and equipment, painted bright red.  Who knows.  I guess we are not supposed to know.  That is what makes life so interesting.  So skip around with me, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment