Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I AM FRIENDS GOOD WILL ... THIS IS MY STORY ... JULY 12 2011 ... PART THREE

I then served with the United States Navy, transporting troops across Lake Erie for the invasion of southern Ontario.

Then in December 1813 I was driven ashore by a great storm near Buffalo New York, and as the weather worsened I was frozen in place surrounded by ice.  I was held prisoner for days by the ice.  Then in January 1814 the British raided Buffalo.  I guess that was because they were bent out of shape about losing the Battle of Lake Erie.  As I lay frozen in the ice they decided to take some of their revenge out on me.  That fateful night they set me afire, and laughed as they watched me burn.

You wonder, how can I write this story?  It is because, even though they burned my body, the dream that someone had in 1810 was still out there.  For many years that dream lay dormant, waiting - waiting - waiting.   Finally, almost 200 years later, the dream finally landed with a group of people who wanted to preserve that part of our history.

A foundation was formed and rebuilt me as an exact replica from the original blueprints.  In 2001 I was once again launched by the Michigan Maritime Museum.  From that day on I have been sailing every day, weather permitting, carrying passengers on the trip of a lifetime, back into history, sailing on a sleek, beautiful sloop, helping the crew with the raising of my sails, and taking them down, learning how to steer with the tiller. 

Once again the breeze fills my sails, and as they billow out we go skimming over the water, bow breaking through the waves, and spray cooling the summer heat.  I understand that soon, in the year 2012, there will be a great celebration held commemorating the War of 1812.  200 years.  I hope you join us all for this wonderful trip back into time.

I hope you have enjoyed this story as told from this beautiful ship's viewpoint.  It is a wonderful way to learn the history of a subject.

For more about the war of 1812 contact http://doubleedgepress.com/ where you will find Jim's books listed, or search for James Spurr on amazon or any other major book retailer (also available on Kindle, etc.).

Tomorrow I will share some of my time at the Cain Arts Festival in Cleveland Heights Ohio.  Of all the out-door festivals I have participated in over my 35 years of doing such things, this was a new, and wonderful, experience.  It makes me wish all outdoor festivals would follow their lead.

Until then, have a good day and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment