Wednesday, July 6, 2011

NOW FOR THE "WAR" PART OF YESTERDAY's BLOG ... JULY 06 2011....

Not the Revolutionary War, but the War of 1812, the 200th anniversary will be celebrated next year - 2012. 

There is so much history connected to this War of 1812 that was either, never taught, or I did not listen.  I have learned so much from a series of 3 books published by Double Edge Press about this particular war, and the role of the sailing ships, written by James Spurr, living in Michigan, having his Master's license, who can command South Haven's beautiful sailing ship "FRIENDS GOOD WILL".  Today's ship is a reproduction of the original ship involved in this war.

After publication of Jim's books he invited Rebecca and her family (me too!!!)to come to South Haven, and he would take us sailing on Friends Good Will.  We all needed a vacation, so planned a week in Michigan, doing Holland, Frankenmuth, and the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.  We spent one day in South Haven, met Jim, went for our sail, which by the way, was completely awesome, then in the afternoon while Rebecca and the kids went to the beach, Jim took son-in-law Neal and me out in his small boat while the tall ship was on its afternoon cruise, and circled Friends Good Will out in Lake Michigan where I got some fantastic pictures of this ship.  What a day!!!!

If you have never been on one of the tall ships, you have missed a great experience.  All you hear is the waves created as you sale along, and the wind in the sales.  It is so completely peaceful, and relaxing.

I'm sure my family would disagree about the relaxing part, as all 6 of them helped raise and lower the sales, it was really hard work.  Lucky me, I got to sit and enjoy, because I was the OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER.  Sometimes a title comes in really handy.


Part of the crew. Jim in white and straw hat, then  grandsons Coleman, Austin, and Garrett.  They were all pulling away, got to get those sails up!  They had a ball, but it was hard work. 

Here is the rest of MY crew, son-in-law Neal, granddaughter Shelby, and daughter Rebecca, hidden behind Shelby.

Rebecca informed me she was never going to be "crew" again for a sail boat.  Shelby seconded that motion.


This final picture is Rebecca and Jim having a conference regarding the publication of (I believe) the last of his three book series.  But don't quote me on that last, I lose track pretty easy.  Too much info, not enough brain.

The titles of his books are as follows:

Book 1 - "Sworn for Mackinaw"
Book 2 - "One Sloop & Slow Match"
Book3 - "Reflections in the Wake"

I never knew that the sailing ships played such a large part in this particular war.  You think of them as recreational, not fighters.  If you want a good read, especially with the anniversary next year, be sure to pick these up.

Tomorrow you will get a more in depth history lesson, as I will tell the story of the Friends Good Will's part in the war of 1812, as told from the ship's point of view.  It is another story that is included in the second volume of IF ONLY I COULD TALK.  I hope you will enjoy the story, and learn some history you were not aware of.  I know I did - the history part.

Have a good day and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment