Sunday, November 4, 2012

MEMORIES

OF CHILDHOOD ... NOVEMBER 04 2012 ....

Funny how things develop.   I did remember about the clocks, changed all the ones I could reach.  Bossman has to do the remainder.

Didn't have a clue about what I would write about today.  Once again e-mail came to my rescue.

This e-mail was about Irving Berlin, who wrote the song GOD BLESS AMERICA and the woman who first sang this on her radio show - Kate Smith.

The song was written during WW I, but not publicaly sung until the early 1940's WW II.

When I was growing up I spent time with my Aunt.  We listened to Kate Smith sing every single day at noon as we ate lunch, so I know what a powerful voice she had.

What is even more strange, at the urging of my daughter-in-law Tammie I have begun book #6, about the way it was growing up in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's.  Does that date me or what.

Anyhow this new book, tentatively titled THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS, one of my memories is of listening to Kate Smith every day at noon with my Aunt.  And now, today, this e-mail.

I don't believe in chance.  I believe there is a reason for everything that happens.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.  Why is it that at this particular time in my life I decided to write another book, and I received this e-mail, which is very much one of my memories.

I have shared this video of Kate Smith on my facebook page today.  I hope you will enjoy it.

Be good and God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Martha...and I'm going to follow your blog...You are right, we are similar in our writing...Thanks for sharing...Stay in touch...and thanks for your blog...Sally

    ReplyDelete