Saturday, August 13, 2011

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL??? AUGUST 13 2011..................

I think that is how they phrase it on TV.  I like football.  I watch football.  I guess I take after my Dad.  He loved football.

My Dad was a grade school principal and teacher.  When I was a kid teachers did not make very much money.  I grew up in Martins Ferry, Ohio, went to MFHS, and our football team were the Purple Riders (colors were purple and white, logo a rider riding a bucking horse, helmet with a purple horseshoe), therefore Purple Riders.  I would have liked to have seen the horse that was wearing the purple horseshoes.  Any how we were the Purple Riders.

My Dad wanted to see the games.  So my Dad volunteered to be a ticket-taker at one of the gates for all the home football games.  That way he got to watch the games for free.  But did I get into the games for free because he was the ticket-taker?  You've got to be kidding.  My Dad was scrupulously honest, a trait that I admired and respected. I had to pay just like everyone else.

When it came to college games, my Dad loved Ohio State.  I can't imagine why, we only lived in Ohio, but he loved the Buckeyes.   My Mother was NOT a football fan.  She just plain did not like football.  During college football season it sometimes got very interesting at our house.

First of all we did not have a TV until after I had graduated from high school, but we had radios.  In fact I think we had 2 - one in the living room, and I'm not sure where the other one was kept, but on Sunday afternoon this second radio mysteriously appeared so my Dad could listen to the football game.  My mother would usually take her "Sunday afternoon nap" while the football game was on.

I can remember many a Sunday dinner at noon after church, we would be sitting at the table eating, my Dad had the radio beside him, listening.  Well, trying to listen.  My Mother did not appreciate a football game with dinner.  She usually let us know that football was a bunch of foolishness.  Didn't phase my Dad in the least.  He just ignored her and kept his ear glued to the radio.

I guess that is where I got my love of football.  He must have rubbed off on me.

When we got a TV things got really interesting.  The more my Mother complained, the more my Dad ignored her.  He loved watching the football games, and when Ohio State happened to be in the Rose Bowl, watch out.  He would not miss that game.

My Dad never seemed to get ruffled.  He just let everything go in one ear and out the other, never got upset.  I can honestly say I NEVER EVER heard my Dad get mad.  Not at my Mother.  Not at my sisters and me.  Not at any one.  Even when correcting us girls he never raised his voice or threatened.  He knew Mother would take care of it if he didn't get through to us. 

Wish I could say the same for me.  Guess in that respect I have a little bit of my Mother in me.

So, ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?  I know I am.  I love the Steelers.  Win or lose, they are my team.  Guess it is time to get all our Steeler stuff out of storage and re-decorate the living room.

Wonder what I'll blog about tomorrow.  Maybe I'll think of something.  In the meantime enjoy the weekend and God Bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment