Thursday, August 25, 2011

THERE ARE APPLES -- AND THEN THERE ARE APPLES......AUGUST 25 2011.....

Apples are apples, oranges are oranges, etc., and then there are the "camouflage" applies.

I know what you are thinking, I have really really lost it now.  The earth quake must have rattled my brain right along with my chair.

So I guess I had better back-track and explain - no I AM NOT crazy, this is for real.

Two years ago Jerry discovered an apple tree on our farm.  It was loaded, and I do mean loaded, with apples.  Very strange and unusual looking apples.  So he brought a few to me and asked if I knew what kind they were.  They were just about the ugliest apples I have ever seen.  He's got to be kidding.

These apples mostly were about the size of oranges.  I had never seen such an apple before.  So I decided to experiment.  I peeled, sliced and cooked the few he brought to see what would happen.  Added sugar and just a touch of cinnamon, ended up with the BEST STEWED APPLES I have ever eaten.  WOW!

Next day he brought home a bag full.  I decided to see if they would make good apple pies.  We ended up with just about the best apple pie I have ever made, and if I do say so myself, I make good pie.

My pie crusts are really rich, I don't skimp on the Crisco.  Makes it a little hard to work with the dough as it is very fragile, but melts in your mouth when eaten.

Enough for bragging.  Jerry kept bringing me apples.  By the time he ran out I had between 15 and 20 pies in the freezer for later eating. 

Last year was a bad fruit season.  The tree had no apples.  My freezer full of pies was empty of pies.  Bummer.  I used other types of apples for pies, but none of them tasted like MY apples.

No one knew what kind of apples they were.  I am sharing a picture of one of them here.  I called them my camouflage apples.  They look like military or hunting camouflage in the green. 

Has anyone ever seen an apple that looks like this?  I know I never have before.  But, oh my, the pie!

Jerry is going to start bringing in apples as he can get them, the tree is very tall, in a very densely wooded area of the farm, very hard to get the apples.

I don't care how many he brings me.
They will go into pies in the freezer.

As fast as these apples fall from the tree the deer are there chowing down.  They seem to think they are the best also.  We have crab apple trees all over the farm, and this time year you regularly see deer standing on their back legs, pulling the apples off of the trees.  But MY apples fall onto the ground, they don't have to work for them, so it is whoever gets there first gets the apples.

Things must really be bad, if I am reduced to asking if anyone knows what kind of apple it is that I have on our farm.

But I surely would love to know the real name of my camoflauge apples.

If you are in the neighborhood, and I have pies in the freezer, stop by, we will bake one and I would love your opinion.

We had apple pie last night for supper.  Have enough left for tonight.  All I have to say is Jerry had better get to those apples first!

In the meantime, enjoy your wet cloudy Thursday and God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment