Monday, August 15, 2011

UP's AND DOWN's........AUGUST 15 2011......................

I have a little bit of everything to talk about today.  First of all - today marks the halfway point to September.  I'm not ready for September.  I am still trying to get my June list under control.  Then there is my July list, and my August list.  Maybe I should just tear them up and start on my September list now, then maybe when October arrives my September stuff will be done.  Yeah, right!!!!!

When I got to Church yesterday morning, first thing Pastor Dan asked was if Mike was back from Alaska yet.  Told him no, he was scheduled to return Tuesday, provided he doesn't all off the boat.  Which was a distinct possibility yesterday

I had just walked in the house from Church when the phone rang.  It was Jerry, calling, of course, from Alaska.  No - no one fell of the boat.  But they did have to turn back yesterday morning as they began encountering up to 7 foot waves.  Nothing to fool with.  They were contemplating doing some fly fishing yesterday afternoon.  They are also trying to book a half day fishing trip today, before they start for Anchorage for their flight home late tonight.

I believe I have mentioned that in 2008 there were a group of us, family and friends, flying to Alaska, doing a week of touring, then a week of cruising back to Vancouver.


This was part of our group, from front to back, left to right:

Son Jerry, I don't know who that woman is, daughter-in-law Tammie, son Mike right behind Tammie, then daughter Linda and son-in-law Dave.

Jerry, Mike and Dave are three of the four in Alaska fishing this week.

This was in the Brooks Range in late July, yes that was snow on the ground.  Tammie, Mike and me looking down the valley where the Alaska Pipeline runs.

What an experience that was.

The next picture is of the beautiful water in Alaska.  Hopefully when the kids get back this week, I will be able to confiscate a few of Jerrry's pictures to share with you. 

Now back to yesterday.

We sang one of my favorite hymns this morning, and I just wanted to share the words with you here. 

The composer of this hymn is Natalie Sleeth, and it appears in the UMC hymnal.

In the bulb there is a flower; in the seed an apple tree.

In cocoons a hidden promise: butterflies will soon be free!

In the cold and snow of winter there's a spring that waits to be,
unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

There's a song in every silence, seeking word and melody:
there's a dawn in every darkness bringing hope to you and me.

From the past will come the future; what it holds, a mystery
unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

In our end is our beginning; in our time, infinity;
in our doubt there is believing; in our life eternity.

In our death, a resurrection; at the last a victory,
unrevealed until its season, something God Alone can see.

I hope no one is offended when I write of things like this, but it is so true, a wonderful way to look at life as a whole.

Later in the afternoon I had an e-mail from Judy in Cambridge.  Russ got another award this weekend.  I don't know any of the details, but am so excited for him.  His work is so awesome and unique, he works so very hard to create each work of art, all of which are originals, he deserves the recognition. 

I think this is a good time to share this picture of him receiving his award at the Y-Bridge festival a week ago.

He's the guy in the white shirt.

Our families have been friends for 30 plus years, we met at an art festival long long ago when we were both just getting started, and have been friends ever since.

So you can see it has been kind of a hodge-podge day, a little of this and a little of that.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring.  I really don't want to know, as that way every day is a surprise.  So look forward to your surprise tomorrow, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment