Monday, October 10, 2011

NOW THE REAL WORK BEGINS ..... OCTOBER 10 2011 .......

What a fantastic weekend.  Sunday began with our breakfast at the Lodge, pumpkin waffles, pecan waffles, plain waffles, omelets with everything but the kitchen sink, all made by the 6 chefs cooking for each individual order as you watched and all the other traditional food.  We talked.  We laughed.  We ate. Everyone seemed to think that this is the perfect way to start the final day of the festival.

Again the crowds were huge.  I believe that because we have had such miserable weather the entire year, and this week-end was picture-perfect, everyone was out celebrating, and what better way to celebrate than to buy from us poor, hard-working vendors. 

I couldn't talk, above a whisper, but no one seemed to mind. 

I also couldn't believe how many folks I touched base with that I hadn't seen since last years Oglebayfest, and probably will not see again until next year.

That is the high point of any festival, the touching base.  Renewing old friendships, making new friends, hearing all about the last year, who could ask for anything more.

Now today the "real" work begins - the "paper work".  Everything has to be documented, the proper forms complete to pay the State of West Virginia the sales tax collected, the proper documentation for the IRS at the end of the year, which is coming like a freight train out of control.

I have to submit my credit card sales so I get paid for those purchases.  I have to hit my inventory records, taking off what I had sold.  Then I have to decide what new pictures I have to do for the fairgrounds festival in two weeks.  Then comes the printing, matting, framing those that need to be framed, getting ready.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that your fun job is easy.  Just because you love what you do does not make it easy.  In fact I work harder at my fun job than I ever did at my "real job".  But when you love what you do you don't mind the work.  Each year you get a little slower, but you still get it done. 

So guess I had better get done here, and get to my "real" work.  That will take most of the day, just getting the immediate necessities finished.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get a picture or two ready for adding to the blog.  I know I have been remiss this weekend, but I haven't been loafing.  So until then, have a good day and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment