Sunday, October 2, 2011


SMICKSBURG.....OCTOBER 02 2011..................................

Yesterday was a good day.  A wet day, but good.  Smicksburg is a very neat Amish community in Indiana County Pa.  We saw a lot, had a bus completely full - not one open seat.  It was a good group, we had a good time.

It never actually stopped raining the entire day.  This was Smicksburg's Fall Harvest Festival weekend, which was a complete wash-out.  Many vendor's had not arrived, because of the rain, and the few tents that were up just sat there in the rain.  There were no browsers.  Except for us goofy bus riders, there were hardly any folks on the street.

Our time had been scheduled to spend a portion in the 13 buildings which comprised the Smicksburg Amish community, with the afternoon free to roam the festival site, listening to the music, checking out the vendors and what they had to offer, and eating lunch.  Scratch that.

We did spend a little more time in the different attractions than had been  scheduled, did have a little free time where we had choices of what we wanted to do.  It was disappointing, but also a good trip.  I still spent money.

No 1 - Yoders Country Living Shop.  There I bought 2 jars of goodies - Blackberry Jam and Garlic Herb Jelly.  Never heard of that one, but am always willing to try something new.  Looks interesting, sounds interesting, hopefully will taste interesting.

No 2 - The Chocolate Shop.  Just what it says.  They make their own chocolate, so many different chocolates you head is spinning.  They also carried bulk items, so bought a bag of tapioca - the fine granule kind.  Love tapioca pudding, so guess what.  Am planning on that for desert tonight.

No 3 - Downtown Smicksburg Amish Country.  Also just what it says.  Furniture of all styles and shapes and sizes, hand-crafted, and beautiful.  No, I didn't buy anything there, figures the bus driver would frown on me bringing home a new bedroom suite, or some such thing.

No 4 - Village Eatinghouse Sampler - where they served specialty sandwiches, quiche, soups, salads and desserts.  I had planned on bringing home a couple of apple dumplings for us for tonight, but they were sold out.  So much for that.

No 5 - The Drying Shed - a 6 room house full of country crafts, gifts and framed country prints.  There again I did not buy, I am trying to down-size my home, not up-size it.

No 6 - Country Cupboard -complete with jams, jellies, jewelry, and stuff.  That may be where I bought my "Bowlby Bits", a snack item made out of ground pecans and stuff, formed in small squares to snack on.  Something new to try.  I sampled a couple when I got home, they are very good.

No 7 - Amish Wedding Feast - where if so inclined you could purchase a complete Amish wedding meal.  I passed on this.  Was looking forward to our supper last night on our way home. 

No 8 - the Country Shed - There again a mix of Primitive country crafts, rustic antiques, a neat place to visit, but nothing I could not live without.

No 9 - Smicksburg Pottery - Nice stuff, but not a very large selection.  There again very nice, but nothing I could not live without.

No 10 - Primitive Peddler - Just what the name says, although there were some very nice antiques.

No 11 - Country Junction Restaurant - I did not make it in there.  Supposed to have very good home made food and breads.

No 12 - Green Tree Lumber Structures - specializing in storage sheds.  Again I passed.

The Smicksburg Community Cheese factory was shortly before we arrived at the Vineyards.  Of course I had to buy some of their cheese!

No 13 - Windgate Vineyards and Winery.  I did enjoy this, and also had my lunch there.  In addition to the winery they had a gift shop and an antique display.  I participated in the wine tasting, and the one I really liked was named CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRIES.  I did splurge and buy a bottle of this to bring home, plus bought a Christmas gift.  You can see from the picture below how it was raining and foggy.




I did see a lot of the Amish buggies flying by, clip-clopping, water splashing.  As you can see, it was quite wet, and quite deserted.

By the time we all re-boarded the bus around 5 p.m., we were cold, wet, and getting hungry.  45 minutes down the road we arrived in Kittanning Pa, and at the Allegheny Mariner Restaurant, right next to the Allegheny River, which was running quite high.  The restaurant was lovely, the food great, and then it was time to head for home.

By the time we got back to Waynesburg, and I got home it was after 10 p.m., quite a long day, a very wet day, but a good time day.  What helped make it a good time day were the folks in charge of the tour and the folks riding the bus.  It was a great bunch of people, all ages, all had good sense of humor, no complainers, no late returners, just a nice bunch of people.

Sorry I didn't get this posted earlier, but was tired last night, late getting to bed, late getting up this morning, so this had to wait until I returned from Church and ate my lunch. 

Bus trips can be a lot of fun, and very informational.  I thoroughly enjoy them and look forward to the next one, where-ever and when-ever it will be.  In the meantime, stay warm and dry and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment