Monday, October 3, 2011

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HIS FACE!!...OCTOBER 03 2011.......

It was priceless.  You had to be there to believe it.  What on earth am I talking about.  Well, it is about when I "passed on", my obituary in the paper, and life as I know it.  Sounds complicated.  Sort of.  Sad - not at all, mostly funny.

To tell this story I have to back up a bit.  I have mentioned many times my vendor friends, how much we look forward to seeing each other at the different festivals.  These folks are no exception.

I have known John and Nancy for many years, seeing each other 3 - 4 times a year.  We have had our tents next to each other at Covered Bridge Festival for quite a long time, we know exactly what to expect from each other.  No surprises in store.  We talk and laugh all weekend, help each other when necessary, it is good.

I think it was two years ago (2009) in July when I was at Washington Hospital visiting a friend.  I was sitting there talking to her when one of the volunteers came rambling by with the cart of goodies - snacks, newspapers, combs, tooth brushes, you know the drill.

Today it happened to be John.  He volunteers when free.  I waved and said HI!  He just stared at me, and the expression on his face was priceless.  I couldn't describe "the look" if my life depended on it.  Little did I know.

He continued on, I continued with my visit, went home, life went on.  Fast forward now to September, and Covered Bridge Festival.

I arrive on Friday as I normally do about noon to get my tent set up and my display ready for Saturday and Sunday.  John and Nancy are there, they had just arrived.

The minute I got out of the van they rushed over saying "You're alive You're alive!!!" and big grins on their faces.  What on earth????  I didn't know I was dead!!!  Maybe I had better pinch myself.

Then they went on to explain.


In late spring of that year they had seen an obituary in our local paper about the death of a woman named - you guessed it - Martha - I'm not sure of her last name - but John and Nancy were convinced it was me.

They were sorry about my passing on, but really sorry and worried about what their "new neighbor" at the C.B. festival would be like.  They didn't know what to expect. 

The day John saw me in the hospital visiting my friend almost caused him to have a heart attack.  Nancy told me he came rushing into the house upon arriving home, shouting "she's alive - she's alive!.  What on earth was he talking about.  Then he told her about seeing me at the hospital.

So now even though it is two years later it is still a running joke between us.  Do we have fun or what?

Where else are you going to find the eclectic group of friends as my vendor friends.  I wouldn't trade them for the world.

So, don't always believe what you read, never make assumptions, keep an open mind, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment