Wednesday, October 5, 2011

TELEPHONE-ITIS....OCTOBER 05 2011............

Do you ever have a day that you feel as though the telephone has been permanently glued to your head?

The 25 years I worked at my real job (doing payroll for the county) the phone was glued to my ear.  Questions about paychecks.  "Why didn't I get paid for all my sick days"  You had already used most of your sick days.  Ditto for vacation pay.  Just because the balance on your last check stub said you have 4 vacation days remaining and you used 5, you wondered why you got docked for a day...

Oh, I could go on and on and on.  But for this reason I still do not like using the telephone.  Some days my phone never rings.  I don't miss it at all.  I can handle making appointments, handling business, etc., but just to chit-chat - a little bit is fine.  But then there was yesterday.

I think it was a "let's see how many times I can ring, watching her trying to get to the phone" kind of day. 

Don't get me wrong.  I dearly love my family and friends.  But I much prefer that they don't ALL call the same day.  I think there was a conspiracy yesterday, as they all called the same day.

First of all my First Data rep called me.  They had re-programed my credit card machine on their end, now it was my turn.  It took 45 minutes of me having my phone on speaker as she walked me through all the steps so that my CC machine would work properly. 

I AM back in business.

Next a family member phone call - which lasted almost an hour.  Now it was lunch time.

Of course while I was eating, I got two phone calls, one to remind son Jerry of an appointment, then one to remind me of an appointment.  So much for a hot lunch.

Mid-afternoon, another phone call from a family member, another 30-35 minutes.  Please don't mis-understand, I love hearing from all the friends and family, it just seems so funny they all call the same day, and for the next week my phone probably won't even ring.

I did get through supper with no interruptions.  I did phone a friend that I had been wanting to get in touch with for a couple of weeks, finally remembered that to get in touch with her I had to pick up the phone.  Silly me.

Got her voice mail.  Left a message.  Had just hung up when phone rang.  Thought it was her calling back.  Wrong.  It was another friend, I hadn't talked to  for a couple of weeks, we had a lot of ground to cover.  By now my ear is getting over-heated.

While I am talking to her, my phone beeps, letting me know there is another call coming in.  After I finish my conversation, I access my voice mail.  The friend I had called earlier was returning my call.


How much do you want to bet that my phone will not ring at all today, or Thursday.  It if rings on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I will not be here to contend with it.  Good luck Jerry.

Now for happier things.  I received notification yesterday of a 3 day bus trip to Sleepy Hollow New York the end of the month that still had seats available.  Called Nancy.  If she can change her doctor's apt. we want to sign up.  Sounds like a really nice trip.  Will keep you posted. 

In the meantime enjoy the sunshine we are supposed to have for the next several days, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment