Thursday, January 12, 2012

A POINT IN TIME....JANUARY 12 2012.......


Have you ever gotten up one morning and for just a second or two wondered how you got here, that particular point in time?

That was me this morning.  I was brain-dead as far as writing a blog is concerned.  I started frantically going thorough my mental filing cabinet, when the thought crossed my mind - How did I get to this point in my life.

Maybe you will be interested, maybe not.  I never in a million years as, I was growing up, thought  that I would have written and had published 5 books, along with several short stories complete with photographs published in such magazines as West Virginia and Country.

As a young wife being transplanted from the "huge" city of Martins Ferry, Ohio, to the middle of no-where outside of a little dot named West Alexander Pa., life changed completely.

I was young, had three children, a stay-at-home Mom.  I read a lot.  My kids grew up reading a lot.  Somewhere along the line I got this notion that I should try writing something.  After all I was fairly intelligent, and besides that I always liked trying something new just to prove I could do it.

I started in January of 1970 writing a journal of life in the country.  Each chapter was a month (chapter 1 January, chapter 2 February) get the drift.  As I said it was a journal of triumphs and failures, laughter and sadness, good times and hard times.

Much to my eternal surprise, and a million letters later, a publisher picked up my manuscript and BITS and PIECES became a reality.  The book sold well in the tri-state area for 2-3 years then died a quiet death.

I had proven that I could write something and someone would publish it.  Mission accomplished.

Fast forward.  In 1974 my marriage fell apart, I became a single working Mom raising 3 kids. 

In 1976 I was blessed with a new husband and 2 great step children.  My kids and his kids became OUR kids.  They still are. We were married for 30 years before Tom's passing in October of 2006.

What has this to do with today?   Back-pedaling a again. Our youngest , Rebecca, had always wanted to write.  By then she was married and had her first child.  She wrote a couple of books, one manuscript she discarded, one she tried to get published.  Even had an agent, time went by, nothing.

To bring in extra income she began editing small and large manuscripts for other want-to-be authors.  One of them after numerous rejections suggest she start publishing. Hence the birth of Double Edge Press.

Fast forward again.  In 2005 she informed me that she wanted to re-release BITS and PIECES, but there was a catch.  I had to do a follow-up journal.  Same format.  Just up-dated.

And so in January of 2006 I started my new journal entitled 36 YEARS LATER.  Why this title?  Because it was exactly 36 years after writing BITS and PIECES.

And so here I am today.  For every door that closed, a new door opened.  After the publication of 36 YEARS LATER Rebecca wanted to do a photography book.  We ended up doing a three volume set IF ONLY I COULD TALK. 

Upon completion of these (In January 2011) is when I began blogging as I love to tell a story.

 So here I stand (actually I am sitting right now) many many years later proving that anyone, and I do mean anyone, who has a dream, or an idea, with a little determination, hard work, supportive family and friends can see it through. Let your light shine through.  




Where do you think all the inventions, creations, writings, etc., etc., came from.  Nothing happens just by chance.  You are given a brain, you get ideas,  you take a leap of faith and follow through.

Everyone on this earth has a talent, if nothing more than knowing how to properly fold clothes, or cook a great meal, or listen when someone needs to talk.  You get the drift.  You have the option of pursuing this talent, or letting it lay dormant.  Laying dormant is the easy way.  Pursuing is the hard way.

And so many words later I will close for today.  Be prepared - there is snow in the forecast.  In the meantime, enjoy your day and God Bless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment