Friday, September 30, 2011

GOING...GOING...GONE!!! -- SEPTEMBER 30 2011

That's right.  September is all but gone.  October just around the bend.  What happened?

Tim told us Wednesday evening that he had taken his first load of Black Angus cows to the packing house that day.  For years now we have gotten half a beef every fall, and daughter Rebecca the other half for her family.

Tim has a list of beef buyers every year, and a list of folks waiting to be added, as he will only sell so many cows each year. 

So come Tuesday of next week I will have to remember to call Mike's Packing and place my order as to how many steaks per package, how much ground beef per package, how big I want my roasts, etc.  Then about ten days later we pick up our packaged and frozen beef, enough to last us all year.  And mighty good it is.

So yesterday afternoon I took what little we had remaining from last year's beef plus pies and other stuff out of the upright freezer, putting as much as I could in the chest freezer (as the chest is full of fish, Jerry's and Mike's from their Alaska fishing expedition - it is also a small chest freezer) piled the remainder on the floor of the family room, and covered with quilts, etc. to keep it frozen.

It doesn't take the up-right freezer long to defrost, so got that done, cleaned, and ready for new meat.  Re-loaded the upright and got it sort of organized.  Not a hard job - just time consuming.  But at least now that is out of the way, and we will eat very "high on the beef" for the next year.  You really do get spoiled.


I got the above picture last November while down in West Virginia.  All that hoar frost, and one lone black cow. 

It is cool out, the wind blowing, gray clouds everywhere, not looking like a great day, again.......  I guess this area is breaking records left and right pertaining to the weird weather we have had all year.  I hate to even think what winter will bring.  I may not leave the house until next spring!

Well, have some early morning appointments today, so better get myself in motion, sort of, and get ready to head out. 

Everyone have a great day and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment