Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"THIS IS THE DAY THAT THE LORD HATH MADE".......SEPTEMBER 13 2011.....

And a beautiful day it is.  Sun shining, dew on the grass, perfect temperature, and life goes on.  What more could you ask for?

I now have 10 apple pies in the freezer, and two single pie crusts (probably for the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving) and have run out of room for anything else.  Told Jerry "NO MORE APPLES!"

Once it dries off I will be working on flower beds.  They need constant care, but they do look good.

Now for the fun news.  Getting ready for the Covered Bridge Festival, held annually at Mingo Creek Park in Washington Pa.  This will be their 41st year, my 24th consecutive year, (my first year there was 1987)
EXCEPT - for the year (2004) that the festival had to be cancelled because of flooding.

I had called that morning (as it was raining and raining, we were getting the remnants of hurricane whatever).  As it is a rain or shine festival, they advised that it would go on.  Some friends also participating and I gritted our teeth, and arrived at the park.  It was raining and raining.

We had just started getting our tents set up when park personnel came around and told us the festival was being cancelled, to pack up and get out.  We could already see water pouring off the hillside and running across the festival site towards Mingo Creek.  We packed up. 

First, though, I just had to have a picture of the Ebenezer Bridge, where I have had my booth for years now, and the flood waters were rising rapidly.

This was how it looked as we were leaving.  Later I learned that the water was up and into the bridge.  Our entire festival site was under water.  I also learned later that several vendors lost their tents and merchandise (the early birds who had set up and left), and I felt extremely lucky that I was not one of them.

Ever since my first time there this has been one of my favorite festivals.  The location is great, huge crowds, even when it rains, it is just a fun festival to do. 

As of right now the forecast for this coming weekend is good.  Good temps, sunshine both Saturday and Sunday.  Friday is set-up day only.

So if any of you folks out there want a great day of entertainment, food, scenery, and wonderful vendors, come to the park.  It is free.  It is fun. 


This is how my day ended yesterday, with this beautiful moon-rise as seen from our deck.  Perhaps it is an omen that we will have a great weekend.  In the meantime, enjoy the sun and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment