Friday, September 23, 2011

IT'S TIME TO TELL A STORY.....SEPTEMBER 23 2011........

There has been nothing earth-shattering happen, no disasters, at home that is, nothing exciting, at home that is, just another gray day.

So what do I talk about today?  I guess it is time to tell a story.  This will be a new story, not one that has appeared in any of my IF ONLY I COULD TALK BOOKS.  Lucky you.

As you know we have two beagles.  You have been introduced to Sam in two different stories, as she always manages to get into trouble.  Coco is another type of dog, even though he is a beagle.  He would like to tell his story, so here goes.  Enjoy.

Hi!  My name is Coco.  Well actually it is "Coco Cottonrun" which is my registered name.  You know, of course that I am a registered beagle.  That means that I am special.  Just like Sam is special.  Her real name is "Lady Samantha Stryker", but we all call her Sam.

My earliest memories are of being with my mother somewhere in Pennsylvania.  (That is a state if you didn't know that).  Then one day this big guy with a beard came along and chose me to go home with him.  I didn't know what to expect.

After a long car ride I was at my new home.  I was taken inside and introduced to the family as the "new" puppy, and to my great pleasure there was another puppy already there.  It turned out she was two weeks older than me, and she became my best friend and partner. 

There we are sleeping.  See what a nice big handsome dog I am.  Sam, she is a lot smaller.  She is also a lot noisier.  She barks a lot, especially when it is chow time.  I don't have to bark, I get mine right along with hers. 

We are rabbit dogs.  We love to go hunting.  The best days ever are the days we can chase the bunnies.  It doesn't matter where they run, I can follow them, nothing, absolutely nothing, gets in my way.  Sam is more wimpy.  She lets me break the trail, then follows along, barking her fool head off, making everyone think she is doing all the work.  Ha Ha, dream on Sam.

Sam and I each have our indoor kennels, where we have had "our own space" since day one.  Sometimes I don't think Sam is too bright, I will find her in MY kennel instead of hers.  She has a lot of nerve, then I have to cram myself into her kennel (which, of course, is smaller as she is smaller).  She has absolutely no consideration.  None at all.  Our kennel doors are always open, so we can go into our own "space" any time we want. 

I remember the big snowfall a couple of years ago.  How much fun it was to run and play in the snow.  I had to laugh, though, as Sam is smaller, I could run through the snow, she would get buried.  I had to break the path for her.  I'll never forget the day she ended up head first down in a snow drift.  If you want to know more about that, read about it in one of the books.

I had more fun that day.  Sam wasn't that thrilled.  She is such a wimp.  I guess that goes with being a girl.

Sam and I are both middle aged now.  We are beginning to slow down a little, but life is, and has been, good.  We are loved and cared for.  We have a basket full of toys.  We get doggie treats.  We even get baths.  How I hate a bath.  My hair is thicker and soft, but when it gets wet it takes forever to dry.  I DO NOT like baths.  The only time I ever growled at my master was the first time he gave me a bath.  Needless to say that did not go over at all well, and I learned to grin and bear the bath.

I love the farm.  I love my companion.  I love my people.  And I really love company.  And we do have a lot of company, seems like every time I turn around there are people coming, again and again.  Of course everyone makes over me, I am such a lovable dog.

So, there you have my story.  I hope you like me.  I have yet to find anyone that I do not like.  Well - there are exceptions.  Other dogs!
Every once in a while when a guy named Tim comes to do his thing, his dog comes with him.  How dare he?  This is NOT his farm.  He has his own farm.  That is just about the only time, except when chasing bunnies, that I will definitely growl and bark, informing this intruder that he DOES NOT BELONG UP HERE!!!

So now you have Coco's story.  He has always been the "good" dog, has never done anything dastardly, at least that we know of.

I just wish that all dogs had it as good as our dogs do.  They are loved.  they are cared for.  They are special.  Life is so much fuller with the two of them here, making sure that we are all right.  What a blessing.

Maybe tomorrow I will have something earth-shattering, mind boggling to tell you. Like perhaps that run-away satellite that is heading this way will land on the farm.  Who knows.

So have a safe day.  Stay out of the path of the satellite, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment