Thursday, September 22, 2011

A LITTLE OF THIS and A LITTLE OF THAT.....SEPTEMBER 22 2011.......

That's what today boils down to - a little of the above.  Had a couple of early appointments today, and wasn't about to get up at 5 a.m. to post my blog, so am running a little late. 

Yesterday I got the first of three rows of potatoes dug and stored.  We have a lot of those big 5 or 6 gallon buckets hanging around.  They have been around as long as I can remember, and I use them for everything.

Hauling off trash from the flower beds, hauling mulch for the flower beds, and filling with potatoes in the fall.

I got three buckets full yesterday, so my best guesstimate will be 8 - 9 buckets of potatoes.  You have to remember I have been digging a few at a time for eating purposes now, so the third row is only about 2/3 full.

Sounds like a lot of potatoes.  But when you take into consideration the fact that we do all the holiday dinners, all the cookout cookouts, all the get-to-gathers that happen up here, we do use a lot of potatoes.  I believe I hate all the peeling worse than I do the digging.

Another thing I have noticed - this morning we had that "fall fog" you get this time of year.  And the summer birds are gone.  They were all here just a few days ago, but today - none to be seen.  We have a lot of birds that stay year 'round, but the robins, blue birds, swallows, hummingbirds, and, yes, even the "clean up crew" are gone.

How do they know when it is time to leave?  How can they travel the hundreds of miles with just their little wings?  I have heard stories that the tiny hummingbirds will cop a ride, sitting on the backs of the larger birds.  If this is true, they truly are the smart ones.


We have many birds on the farm year 'round, including several species of hawks.  This is a picture of a red-tailed hawk from the farm.  I see them the most.

So I guess, since the migration has happened, fall is really here, and winter is not to far behind.  So stay warm, stay dry, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment