Thursday, September 15, 2011

REFLECTIONS and THOUGHTS...SEPTEMBER 15 2011......

Rain moved in as predicted, and also cooler.  Whether we like it or not, fall is knocking on the door. 

Got one flower bed done yesterday afternoon before the thunder started. House was cleaned, and apple crisp was made - now gone.

So today I am at loose ends.  Can't work out.  House is clean (as it ever gets), no more apples in the house, can't even watch Tim harvest the remainder of the corn.  It is one of those wet, rainy, dreary days, when all ambition went out the door with the dogs.  Yes they are out right now, their morning ritual.

When I complete my early (sometimes not so early) morning chores and sit down at the computer I know what is coming next.  Coco, the larger of our two beagles, will sit down beside me, staring at me.  When I ignore him, trying to type on the computer, he takes his nose, brings it up under my right arm (the one on the mouse) and hits me.  Arm flies up into the air.  If I still ignore him, he will do it over and over until I finally have to give in and let him, and Sam, out.  You would think that by now I would remember to let them out before I sit down at the computer.  Wrong!!!

Going in another direction, have you ever had friends, that are life-long (and in my case that is decades) friends, even though you rarely see each other, never write, just an occasional Christmas Card, but they are always there, close to your heart?

I have such friends in Ashtabula Co Ohio.  We have been friends since our early teens, visited back and forth at least once a year, their kids and mine became friends, the circle goes on.  As we have gotten older, the visits have been less frequent.  Health matters stepped in.  Death stepped in, but we remain friends. 

I try to visit them at least once a year - as Dave's health does not permit him to travel any more - but this year have not gotten there.  I am still hoping for a visit with them before nasty weather sets in.

This is one of those friendships, that even though we don't see each other for a year or more at a time, when we get together the conversation "just picks up where we left off", however long ago that was. 

Lately it has been better, though, as her oldest son Dan (about my son Mike's age, they still maintain their friendship) has been on facebook.  I can keep up with what is going on with them, and they read my blog so I am assuming his parents also know what is going on.

I do remember years ago when their younger daughter Jeannie got married I photographed her wedding pictures.

Jeannie is now on facebook, she and husband Al are missionaries and are now in Mexico. 

My friends four children have done well for themselves.  Just as all five of my children have done well for themselves.  We, meaning my friends, and I, have done good.  What a blessing.  Especially in this day and age.

Now for a quick change of pace.  We have this old oak tree on our farm, we drive past it every time we leave or return.  It is old, it is gnarled, it is twisted, but it is still here. 


I don't know how long it has been here, guarding the way to our home, probably long before my husband ever originally owned the farm.  Perhaps the tree has been waiting all those long years, from the time the farm was sold (1979) until re-purchased by our son (2005), for us to return home. 

This tree has with-stood just about every type of weather that could possibly be thrown at it.  We, like that tree, need to stand tall for what we believe in, what is right, family, friends, acquaintances, and yes, strangers.  It is our job to stand tall and strive to do the right thing.

Stay warm, stay dry, count your blessings, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment