Thursday, November 17, 2011

UNICORNS.....NOW WHERE ON EARTH?....NOVEMBER 17 2011.........

No, I am not crazy.  It may sound like it, but I am perfectly normal - well that's debatable - but I think I am normal.

Now back to the unicorns.  I have always loved the legend of the unicorn.  In ancient times the Unicorn was said to be the guardians of the forests.  They ran and played, and just had a good time.  Then at the time of the great flood, they were having too much fun and missed the boat, so to speak.  If you want to learn more about unicorns, there is a website ALL ABOUT UNICORNS.

Anyhow back to today.  Some time back, well a long time back, some of the more popular pictures that I sold was during the Carousel Horse period.  Tom and I visited many amusement parks, specifically to photograph the carousels and the beautiful carousel horses.

It was during this period that I was introduced to a gentleman named John Garton, who was a veterinarian by trade, a carver of carousel horses by choice.  He lived in Wellsburg West Virginia.  He created many beautiful carousel horses in his basement.


I was fortunate enough to meet him, and ended up doing an article on John and his carousel horses which appeared in West Virginia magazine and Country magazine.


John sold his horses to collectors all over the country.  He and his horses appeared at some of the major festivals that I also participated in.  Where am I going with this?

As far as I am concerned the most awesome horse that he created was the Unicorn.  I fell in love with this particular carousel horse.  A lot of other folks did also.  Although they could not afford to buy the actual carved horse (they sold in the thousand's of dollars), they COULD afford to buy my picture. 


The carousel horse phase passed, as almost all these phases pass.  BUT, hanging in my home is my picture of the Carousel Unicorn, looking down on me and protecting me.  Also in my Volume 1 of my IF ONLY I COULD TALK series of books. this particular carousel horse tells his story.  He tells how he came to be, and what his purpose in life is.

John has since moved south, I don't know if he is still carving carousel horses or not, but I am one of the lucky ones.  Not only did I get to meet and talk with John, I had the privilege of photographing some of the most beautiful carousel horses ever created. 

So I will leave you now, with this story and hope that you all have some little quirk, or legend, or story, fantasy as it may be, that keeps  you on an even keel and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment