Sunday, May 22, 2011

BOSTON - DAY 2 - PART FOUR........................

Finishing up day 2, I hopped off and on at trolley stops 7 - 8 -12.  This is a miscellaneous group of things that I thought interesting.

First - do you remember the TV show CHEERS?  If you do, I am sharing a couple of pictures with out of the outside of the building, one taken by me and one found on the web.  It was interesting to see the exterior of the building where the TV series was filmed.  As I said, this is a miscellaneous bunch of stuff.  This next picture is the one found on the web:

From there I continued on to the Trinity Church stop.  The construction of this building began in 1873 and was completed in 1877. The original Church was founded in 1733, was later replaced by the new building, which stands today.

The exterior of the Church catches you eye immediately.  It is very much an unique building.

I took the interior tour, which was quite an experience.  It was paid admission, and you received a map and did a self-guided tour.  The decorations, statues, and stained glass windows were a sight to be hold.

The entire time I was inside the Church there was an organist on the premises, playing beautiful music.  I could have just sat and listened for a while, but time was passing and I did not want to miss the last trolley to Cambridge and my car.

The organ was actually one of the old pipe organs, the sound unbelievable.

At the next stop I photographed the BOBBIE ORR GAME WINNING GOAL
statue outside the stadium.  This statue celebrates the May 10 1970 game-winning goal scored in overtime, giving the Boston Bruins their win.  the goal was scored as he was falling from being tripped.  I'll bet that was an exciting thing to see.

Another interesting fact, when Boston was first settled there were so many languages, so the storekeepers came up with the idea of placing an image of their product or service outside their stores.

I snapped this picture of the tea kettle outside of the coffee and tea business.  I saw a tooth hanging outside of the dentist's office.  I saw
a ring for a jeweler, slice of bread for a bakery, barber pole (we still have those today) for the barber), I think you get what I mean.

Is was interesting to see these old symbols displayed today in modern Boston.  As they say, "one picture is worth a thousand words".

And for the many languages spoken, it helped you to find what you were looking for.

Next stop was the current State House and the Shaw Memorial.  The State House was quite impressive with it's shiny gold dome, with the pineapple on top.  Why a pineapple?  I guess it is because at one time Maine was a part of Massachusetts, and broke away to become a separate state.  As the pineapple is one of Maine's symbols, Mass. has kept it on the state house reminding all that once Maine was part of Mass.

The keystone of this State House was set in 1795 by Paul Revere.  The building itself was completed in 1874.

Directly across the street from the State House is the Shaw Memorial.  This bronze sculpture memorial was created to honor Colonel Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusetts Colored Regiment who fought in the Civil War for the North. 

Almost all of this regiment was wiped out during the war, it is quite an impressive sculpture.

Hopping back on the trolley, I headed to Cambridge and the parking garage and the $24.00 parking fee.

From there I drove back to Bedford, had supper and called it a day.  

Tomorrow, a continuation of Day 2 in Boston, Friday, I planned to drive back to Cambridge (another $24.00) and take the harbor cruise that was part of the package deal.  That would use up the morning, then I would return to Bedford, change clothes, and head to Paxton for the Baccalaureate Services that evening for graduating grandson Kurtis. 

Unless something exciting happens - like getting my refrigerator fixed - I will cover tomorrow tomorrow. 

Until then - appreciate a refrigerator that actually works and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment