Friday, May 20, 2011

BOSTON - DAY 2 - PART TWO..........................

After hopping back on to the trolley, I visited stops 3 and 5.  I skipped stop 4, as the afternoon was progressing, there was nothing there I had seen on the first circle that I particularly want to take the time to see.  More important things, for me at least.

I went to the Charlestown Naval Yard, where the USS Constitution is docked.
To access the area where the ship was you had to go through security - just like the airport, but you didn't have to take off your shoes.  I thought "not again!"

So through security I went.  No problem, just a nuisance.

While viewing the Constitution I also learned quite a bit about her, little bits of information that I did not know.  I am going to share this info with you, and I will also be adding several different pictures as we go along.

March 27 1793 President George Washington called for the construction of six frigates, to be built at shipyards along the eastern seaboard.  The 44 gun USS CONSTITUTION was built in Boston in the shipyard.  She was launched in 1797.

The ship was made entirely of wood, pine, oak, and live oak.  Her hull is 12" thick.  During her heyday she carried a crew of 450 sailors.  She was a thing of beauty to behold.

The Constitution is the OLDEST COMMISSIONED SHIP afloat in the world.

The above pictures shows one of her 44 guns.

During the battle of 1812, when the British canon balls bounced off her sides she was nicknamed OLD IRONSIDES, that name still holds true today.

In 1830 as newer, better, faster frigates came along she was headed for scrap.
The fact that Oliver Wendall Holmes had written a famous poem about her, the public set up a cry to save the Constitution.  She is now one of the historical parts of history, and is protected to this day.

Today she carries an active crew of 55 duty sailors of the U S Navy caring for her, giving tours, history, and stories.

On July 21 1997, to mark her 200th birthday, she set sail for the first time in 116 years, sails blowing in the breeze as she skimmed along over the water.


The above picture was taken the next day when doing the harbor cruise, as seen from the water.  The picture below was taken the day I did the tour, just something that caught my eye.


Time to hop aboard another trolley and proceed.  The next thing I photographed was the Old State House.  The Boston Massacre too place here.  The declaration of Independence was read for the FIRST time from the balcony. 


There was so much to take in, so much history, not enough time.  But I learned so many things that I had never known before, things that are not normally taught in school.

The golden lion (left) and unicorn (right) are the symbols of royal authority.  These symbols were placed by the British, as this was their official state house.  After the revolution ended, the new Americans removed these symbols, as they did not want to be reminded of the British tyranny.

Several years later, the symbols were replaced, to preserve a part of our history.

Well, this is just another part of day 2.  I will continue this narrative tomorrow, hopefully.  That is the plan.  We'll see what happens.

Still trying to get my yard mowed.  If it ever quits raining.  So far behind in yard work, might as well just wait until next year now.

Refrigerator still not working.  Still getting the run-around from Sears.  Had repairman here to do repairs, repairs did NOT work.  Have reported Sears to the Better Business Bureau.  Sears is still scheduling apts., then cancelling, or not showing up.

Back to happier things.  I hope you are enjoying your history lessons.  Have a good day and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment