Thursday, May 19, 2011

BOSTON - DAY 2 - PART ONE............................

Left my hotel early Thursday morning to Cambridge - I DID NOT WANT to drive into downtown Boston, and through my research discovered that Cambridge had Trolley stop #13 out of 15, which was at the Cambridge Marriott Hotel, with a parking garage 1 block away.  Got it made.  Until I got to the parking garage.  $24.00 per day - yes per day, not weekly or monthly, but daily!  My first indication that this was not going to be an in-expensive trip.
Little did I know!!!!!!!

I had bought my 2 day trolley pass on line before departing home.  This pass also included the harbor cruise.  So I hopped on the trolley Thursday morning and rode the entire route through Boston and surrounding areas, which was about 1-1/2 hours.  Second and Third time around I hopped on and off.


Quincy Market Building

My first hop off was at Stop #1 - Boston Harbor.  I visited Quincy Market,

Faneuil Hall

with all types of outdoor and indoor vendors, you name it, they had it. 
By this time it was almost noon, and I had real Boston Clam Chowder.  I have found from visiting Maine, that New England Clam Chowder was the best, and what I had at Quincy Market lived up to all expectations  .Quincy Market Building was erected in 1822 when Boston was incorporated as a city.  A good chance to rest.  I also photographed Faneuil Hall while there.  Then it was on the next trolley to Stop #2, the historic North End of Boston, including their "Little Italy".  It was while I was there that I visited Paul Revere's house.

I did not have time to tour the inside of the house, but was able to photograph a poster outside showing some of the interior.  Of course, there was a charge for just about everything.  Par for the course.  This next picture is of the poster

The Paul Revere house was originally built by Robert Howard in 1676 following the great Boston fire that destroyed his original home.  Paul Revere purchased this house from Mr. Howard in 1770.

Did you know that Paul Revere actually had two additional men riding with him that historical night?  There were the three of them riding from Lexington-Concord to Boston to warn about the British soldiers.  The reason we only hear about Paul Revere is because of the famous poem about Paul Revere's Midnight Ride.

Enough for history and stories and pictures for now.  I will continue my Boston saga tomorrow, the Good Lord Willing.  Enjoy your history lessons and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment