Monday, May 9, 2011

WHY IS EVERYTHING A BATTLE??......................

Why is it that everything seems to turn into a battle, and you are always the loser?  Especially when it comes to appliances, service, warranties, etc.

Today, right at this moment I am not happy.  I wasn't going to blog today as I have a bejillion things to do before leaving for Boston on Wednesday to attend a grandson's college graduation on Saturday.  But right now I am sure that the smoke is just pouring out my ears - !!!

We bought a new refrigerator two years - that's right - ago.  It is practically brand new.  We have loved it, until now.  It is a double door refrigerator on top and freezer drawer on the bottom, with water dispenser in one of the refrigerator doors.  You know the kind.  There is so much room, and I do need room with all the family doings that happen here.

Easter Sunday, during our dinner, the water dispenser quit working.  So that evening after everything was back to normal, son Jerry read the manual, found nothing to explain the problem.  He went on line, did the unplug, wait 30 minutes, plug back in scenario - which was described on line, NOT in the manual.  On line also suggested we replace the filter inside the fridge.  We did both.

Now, not only is the water dispenser not working, the refrigerator itself is not working.  All the lights come on, the freezer part is staying at 0 degrees, but the refrigerator is not cooling.  The ice maker is making ice, the refrigerator is gradually warming up.  Good thing we have a back up refrigerator in the downstairs family room.

Called Sears repair.  The new refrigerator warranty had expired.  They would be happy to sell us a new one year warranty, or they could schedule an appointment to have the fridge looked at.  The service call and diagnosis would be x number of dollars.  Repairs would be additional.  But if I desired I could take out a new warranty for one year.  I SPECIFICALLY ASKED, since Jerry is the bill payer, could I make a decision on the warranty when he was available.  They said that would be fine.  In fact they told me that I could even wait until the service man ARRIVED to pay for a new warranty.  Sounded good.  So in the meantime I went ahead and placed a service call.

The first available service call would not be until today, May 9th.  The repairman is scheduled here between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.  There goes my entire day.

I called Sears this morning, requesting to pay for the 1 year warranty, but first I wanted to be sure that today's service call would be covered.  Put on hold.  Waited.  Waited.  Waited. 

Finally another real person came on the line and told me they would be more than happy to renew my warranty for another year.  I asked, just to make sure, if today's service call and repairs would be covered.

You guessed right.  The answer was NO!  Since the service order had been placed, the warranty would NOT cover today, or any repairs needed.  If I wanted I could cancel today's service call, take out the warranty, reschedule the service call, etc etc etc.............

We have not had the use of our refrigerator for a week now.  And they wanted me to wait another week or 10 days! 

I kept today's appointment, what else could I do.  Then called Jerry at work, told him the story, he said I did the right thing, but he wanted their telephone number.  I don't think I want to be the person he is going to be talking to.

Don't get me wrong.  Jerry is a very kind-hearted, easy-going type of person.  He is not a get mad, scream and holler, pound on the desk or throw the telephone type of person.  Just the opposite.  But he can get his point across without ever losing his cool.  I know the phone call won't change anything, but Sears will definitely know how he feels about their entire warranty policy and the way they do things.

So here I sit - can't even go outside and work on flower beds, or something, as the service man will call before arrival to get directions.  And he will need directions.  Tomorrow I have to run last minute errands and pack, to be ready to leave for the airport Wednesday morning. 

Hopefully the refrigerator will be working.  But I am not holding my breath.
The way this scenario has started out, I will probably need some major repair parts, which will have to be ordered, then another service call will have to be scheduled, days down the road.  Maybe I'll have a refrigerator  in June when  Linda and Dave come home from Arizona for their annual summer visit.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment