Monday, May 30, 2011

MEMORIAL DAY 2011

Memorial Day - a Day to Remember.

A friend just sent me, on facebook, u-tube's Lee Greenwood's  GOD BLESS THE USA.  Always been one of my favorite songs.  However the pictures that accompanied the music were awesome - it is what Memorial Day is all about.

We had a lovely day here yesterday.  Friends and Family, lots of food, really good food, Tim even brought two of his award winning cheese cake pies, the ones he entered in Cabela's pie contest, he won two awards.  And that is our farmer friend, the one who keeps our farm looking good, and the one from whom we buy our beef every fall.  And he cooks yet.  His wife Kay told us that after 26 years she thought she would keep him.

Went to early Church (8:30), so I could get home early to finish up all the odds and ends.  First guests arrived around 11:00 a.m., last guests left around 8:30 p.m.  What a wonderful day we had, stories to be told, overeating, laughter, overeating, remembering, overeating, sitting on the deck with a breeze blowing through, and, of course, overeating.

I've always equated Memorial Day with the real first day of summer, just as Labor Day is the real end of summer.  I don't care what the calendar says.  That is how I look at it.  So, to me, summer is officially here, The 4th of July is officially the middle of summer, and Labor Day is the end.

In two weeks my busy season starts festival-wise. In the meantime my artist friend Georgia opens a one-woman show of her paintings at a gallery in New Martinsville WV with the artist's reception on Friday evening, June 3rd.  The show will last the entire month of June. I have several of her paintings hanging in our home.  After my husband, Tom, passed away 6 years ago Georgia did an absolutely beautiful portrait of him, which is hanging in my home.

Portraits are just one of her things.  She does landscapes, still life, old barns, you name it, she can paint it. 

There is a barb-b-q looming on the horizon in Sardis Ohio, daughter and son-in-law coming home from Phoenix for a month (which makes a great excuse for another cookout), festivals, mowing, maybe even some gardening, if I get it planted before fall.

Jerry and I did manage to get to the cemetery on Saturday evening and got our flowers planted.  We were the only ones there, everyone else had done their planting earlier.  At least we weren't arrested for grave robbing.

And, my 48 hours officially passed yesterday evening at 8 p.m., and I DID NOT get my guaranteed call from a head honcho Sears representative within the guaranteed 48 hours.  Why am I not surprised.

Tomorrow the repairman is supposed (for the umpteenth time) to be here in the morning.  Another day of sitting and waiting, and twiddling my thumbs.  Oh well, such is life.

I hope everyone is having a good Memorial Day weekend, I will keep you posted on my on-going soap opera with Sears, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment