Saturday, April 7, 2012

THE OLD SUSPENSION BRIDGE ... PART 2 ...APRIL 07 2012......

My towers stood empty and forlorn for 6 long years.  Would I ever be rebuilt?  What would I be this time?  How long must I wait?  and wait?  And wait?

Suddenly one day a lot of workers arrived.  It was 1860, in the spring.  By mid-summer I had been rebuilt, still a suspension bridge, still very very long, and in mid-summer I was reopened to traffic.  I was now two lanes wide, enough for traffic to go both ways at once.

In 1872 sidewalks were added so that foot traffic was allowed also.

Today I am internationally recognized as a landmark of unique significance  From my humble beginnings as an old wooden covered bridge until now I have seen hogs and pigs and horses replaced by cars and trucks.  I have seen all types of ships and barges plying the river beneath me.  I have seen the coming of the air plane, flying over me.  I have seen the fireworks that go off over me every 4th of July.

In 1987 all new lighting was placed on me, 24 feet apart, attached to my railing.  Other lighting was placed on the towers.  You should see me now, at night, glowing brightly, making it easier to walk across me after dark.

I am very old now.  But I am well taken care of.  I am pampered, primped, cleaned, and polished.  No trucks are allowed to cross me now - they have become much too large and heavy - but there is another newer bridge close by me for them.  Only cars and pedestrians can use me now.  I don't have to worry about weight bringing me down.

I have come a long way since my covered bridge days.  I wonder what the next 100 plus years will bring.  I wonder if I will still be here to add to my story.  I wonder what new marvels I will see over the next 100 years.  I wonder - so many many tings. 

If you are ever in the Wheeling West Virginia area, stop and pay me a visit.  I think you will like me.  I know I will like having you here.

Now you have a thumbnail sketch of this historic bridge and I hope you have enjoyed its history.  I have enjoyed sharing with you.

If you wold like more technical information, or just want to see what was what, just google "Wheeling West Virginia Suspension Bridge"  There will be numerous articles pertaining to its history.

Why do I know all this?  I have found through the many years of selling my pictures that folks like to know the story behind the picture.  And there is a story with every pic.  Therefore when I add a picture to my business inventory, if it is something that has a history, I research it, keep the info on file (both written and in my head - my head is not always dependable) so when a browser is looking at said pic., and wants to know more, I can share.  I am, after all, a story teller.  Fits right in, don't you think.

Today is another perfect day.  We did have frost last night.  Hopefully not a killing frost, but it was there.  My garden is ready, I have three rows marked out, will be planting my potatoes later today.  The remainder of the garden will not be planted until near the end of May.

Enjoy this beautiful day, celebrate Easter tomorrow, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment