Thursday, January 3, 2013

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY

IF YOU LIKE WINTER ... JANUARY 03 2013 ....

So far I have gotten the 2013 part right.  So far.

It is a beautiful day - the yard is sparkling, all my snowflake diamonds, no wind, sunshine, a perfect winter day.  If you like winter.  I used to.  Not any more.  Either I am getting smarter or getting older.  I like to believe it is smarter.

The snow is no longer just a beautiful smooth white blanket.  It is full of foot prints.  Not human, animal.  Mostly deer, everywhere.  And my outside cat when he comes to the patio for his breakfast.  And the dog prints in the outside kennel when they make their daily trips outside.

And then there is Sam - the dog.  She does not like the cold, does not like the snow, does not like hot, is very picky.  She likes, in this order, to eat, sleep, hunt rabbits.  Period. 

Bossman decided to train her to "speak" for her supper.  So when  she thinks it is suppertime she will start barking at you.  Darned dog.  But now she has decided when she has been out long enough barking will get her in sooner. 

The dogs don't worry the deer, or the cat.  They know the dogs are confined and cannot get to them.  Why am I telling you all this.  Because it is leading up to something.

And just what is that something?

I mentioned a few days ago that with the first major snowfall the deer expect for Bossman to put out feed for them.  Just so happens the first major snowfall happened during deer season.  Which doesn't end for another week.  To them that is no excuse.  They are looking for their hand-out.

And guess what gets to pay the price.  The landscaping, of course.

I guess yesterday they decided enough was enough.  First thing I knew here comes this deer marching right down the hill, across the yard, and into our landscaping.  She proceeds to chow down on our shrubbery.  Doesn't matter that it may be prickly.  She is greatly enjoying herself.  This was in the afternoon.  She looked up and saw me taking her picture, all but thumbed her nose at me and  went back to eating.  So much for being afraid of people.


Just at dark we had a yard full of deer, taking turns eating our shrubs.  And pawing the snow away from the grass and chowing down.  The yard now looks like a tornado had moved through.

The dogs sit and look out the window at the deer.  (Our dining room wall windows go clear to the floor, along with the sliding glass door).  It basically has a wall of glass.  The deer look back at the dogs.  And ignore them completely.

Guess Bossman will be buying new shrubs for the landscaping come spring. 

Other than that my life is pretty much on hold until I can trust our driveway.  No big deal.  I don't have to be anywhere special at any time soon.  So am just going to sit back, relax, read a good book, and say a great big Thank You for all my blessings. 

Watch out for those pesky deer, enjoy winter, because it is not going anywhere for a while, and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment